More than 450 million tons of hazardous chemicals and waste are produced annually, mostly from industrial industries such as textile manufacturers, pesticide production, and electroplating operations.
And because many workplaces are the source of these building materials, countless workers are exposed to the most dangerous elements every day.
Chemicals that can cause significant health effects to include:
- Toxic chemicals
- Skin damaging chemicals
Chemicals that can injure people or damage property at once include:
- Flammable liquids
- Compressed gasses
These hazardous chemicals can harm you very much, for example: Burn your skin, inject toxicity in our skin etc.
So we have to be very cautious about these dangerous chemicals. And take significant precautions while using or handling them in factories or organizations.
Here are some safety precautions that every organization has to follow.
14 Health and Safety Duties / Precautions Every Organization Has to Follow.
If you are in business or organizations, you have specific duties under the Model WHS regulations to manage health and safety risks associated with the use, handling, production, and storage of hazardous chemicals in the workplace that contains:
- Ensure proper labeling of containers and pipework using warning signs and display safety signs.
- Maintaining the register and exposure (where necessary) of hazardous chemicals and informing the regulator on the storage of exposed quantities of dangerous chemicals.
- Detect any risk of physical or chemical reaction to hazardous chemicals and determine their stability.
- Ensuring hazard standards in the workplace for hazardous chemicals is not much.
- Providing health supervision to workers (if relevant).
- Providing information, training, teaching, and supervision to workers.
- Providing a spill control system for hazardous chemicals if necessary.
- Obtaining the current SDS from a chemical manufacturer, importer, or supplier.
- Controlling ignition sources and accumulation of combustible and combustible materials.
- Providing fire protection equipment, firefighting equipment, and emergency and safety equipment.
- If the amount of hazardous chemical class in your office exceeds its manifest size, provide a copy of your emergency plan to the primary local emergency services organization.
- Ensuring hazardous chemical storage and handling systems are appropriately decomposed.
- Informing the regulator immediately of the effect of abandoned tanks in certain circumstances.
How to Manage Risks Associated with Hazardous Chemicals?
Here some points that must be followed to manage risks associated with hazardous chemicals:
- Identify the appropriate hazards that could cause the accident.
- As far as reasonably feasible is possible, eliminate the risk.
- If it is not reasonably feasible to eliminate the risk, control the hazard because it is convenient to implement control measures according to the risk control hierarchy.
- Maintain the control measure implemented so that it is effective.
- In a work environment that is not hazardous to health and safety, if necessary, review and revise all risk control measures once every five years until reasonably feasible.